People injure their knees Many times while working out too much, carrying heavy objects and not taking enough rest. They experience unbearable pain and soreness. People require surgery When the condition of their knee worsens. Total knee replacement treatment provides the patients with some respite from the excruciating pain and helps them live a life devoid of physical ailments.
The weight-bearing surfaces of the knee are treated In the procedure of Total knee replacement.
The person is provided with metal prosthetics that provide support and help him/her restore normalcy in life.
During a total knee replacement treatment, the underlying surfaces of the femur and tibia are removed. After that, the metallic parts are used to recreate the surface of a joint. Then the kneecap is resurfaced with a plastic button. The surgeons insert a metallic spacer between the metal components to create a gliding surface.
For knee surgeons, these medical procedures are a cakewalk. They tailor their treatment according to the needs of the patients and use cutting-edge technology.
The surgery is needed when the person:-
• Experiences severe knee pain and is unable to walk, climb the stairs, sit or lie down
• Has some stiffness in the body and requires a cane or walker to move significant steps
• Notices moderate or severe knee pain while resting or sleeping at night
• Has chronic knee inflammation or swelling
• Notices a protruding knee or a deformity
• Does not notice any improvement with medications, physiotherapy, cortisone injections and massaging
• The surgeon makes an incision at the front of the knee to gain access to the patella.
• Then the doctor rotates the knee cap to view the area and perform the surgery.
• Deep cuts are made to the femur bone using special instruments. The damaged bone and the cartilage are cut. The end of the femur is cut to fit into the first part of the artificial knee.
• After that, the surgeon inserts the metallic component into the femur bone and seals it with the bone cement.
•Then the doctor removes the top of the tibia and shapes the bone to fit into the metallic components.
• High-quality metal-grade plastic is put on the bottom of the tibia to provide support to the body.
• The patella is flattened and a metallic sheet is put to strengthen the bones. This facilitates the movement of the joint.
After that, the surgeon tries to bend the knee to see if the implant is working correctly. The implant is closed with staples and bandaged to help the patient recover successfully.
The time for recovery varies with every individual. During the convalescence, the patient might be given some painkillers to alleviate discomfort.
He/she could be given oxygen through a mask or tubes. A blood transfusion can make things better. The nurse would change the dressing on the knee so that it heals in time. After the surgery, the patient might need a walker or crutch to move from one place to another.
In addition to this, you can put on ice packs to relieve the pain. Massaging the knee with body oil provides some respite from the tensed nerves and muscles. It can be refreshing and aid in the effective circulation of blood. Doctors recommend the patients to take rest.
Exercising is one of the best ways to recover after an illness. It provides the body with energy and initiates the formation of new tissues.
• Lie down on your back
• Try to lift your right leg and then hold the position for 5-10 seconds
• Repeat the movement with your left leg
• Stand up and try to keep your knees straight for some time
• You can also lie down and try to touch the back of the knee to the bed
• Repeat the movement with both the legs
• Sit down on a chair
• Bend your knee by moving it forward and backwards for some time
• You can also stand up and try bending back and forth
• Repeat 5 times
Summing it up, people hurt their knees and might need timely treatment. They require effective care and total knee replacement surgeries to improve their condition.
Overweight people and the ones who do challenging workouts are prone to developing knee injuries. It might result from chronic inflammation or swelling, accidents and a sedentary lifestyle.
If you experience unbearable pain in your knee, consult with the best knee replacement doctor immediately.